Home Page

SEND Offer

Special Educational Needs and Disability


What does Special Educational Needs Mean?


If your child has been identified as having special educational needs (SEN), this usually means that they are learning at a slower rate than most other children and have a lower attainment level (get lower scores) than most other children of their age.


What special educational needs does my child have?


Special educational needs normally fall into one or more the following types:

  • General or moderate learning difficulty
  • Speech, language & communication difficulty
  • Specific Learning difficulty (dyslexia, dyspraxia)
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder (autism)
  • Hearing or Visual Impairment
  • Behavioural or emotional difficulty

Your child may have a disability that requires additional support.


What does being on the SEN Register Mean?


The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) keeps a record of all the children on the SEN Register. Children fall into the following categories (defined by the Code of Practice):


SEN Support: children who need something additional to or different from normal teaching (an intervention) to help them to progress and in some cases catch up with other children.


Some children may also require some support from an outside agency (e.g. teacher for the deaf, special educational needs support service) in addition to an intervention


Education  Health and Care Plan or School Contract: children who require a high level of support in school from a teaching assistant for a large part of the day in addition to an intervention and support from an outside agency. An Education  Health and Care Plan can give parents / carers rights over how and where there child can be educated. Very few children fall into this category.


What support can I expect from the school?


  • To be told what difficulties your child has
  • To meet once a term with your child’s teacher to discuss your child’s progress, how you can support your child at home and to get your views about what your child needs. In addition, your teacher will set targets for your child to achieve  over the next term
  • Your child should have access to an intervention such as Better Reading and Writing Partnership, Read Write Inc (Ruth Miskin Literacy), Inference Training, Talk4Number or other strategy to help them to catch up with other children
  • Your child’s teacher should tell you what the intervention is, how long it will last and how it fits into the weekly timetable
  • Your child will continue to be taught by teachers for most lessons with some support from teaching assistants during interventions


The SENCO at Spinney Hill Primary School is Bernie Ranzetta


The Governors with responsibilty for Special Educational Needs and Disabilty at Spinney Hill Primary School are Mushtaq Giga and Moshin Malik.

The Family Support Worker for Spinney Hill Primary School is Leona Wallace


Please ring 0116 2737047 if you would like to make an appointment to discuss your child's needs.


Please click the download link below to download information about our school and the school offer for pupils with special educational needs or disability. You can also find this and other useful information on the Leicester local offer website: